Holistic Weight Loss Programs
Weight loss is complicated. There’s no one-size-fits all approach. Any magazine, commercial or doctor’s office that tells you their one program will work for anyone is intentionally misleading you to make a profit.
Why isn’t there a magic combination that unlocks everyone’s fat storage and enables all people to lose weight equally? It’s for the same reason that not everyone is 6 foot tall with brown hair and green eyes, or why not everyone has asthma or eczema, or why some suffer with post-traumatic stress disorder while others seem to float through life. Every body is different. No two bodies are the same. Genetics, environmental factors, bio-chemistry and lifestyle all play a role in weight loss, and no two people have the same blue print in any of these areas. It’s call bio-individuality.
Do you know that there are multiple factors that impact your metabolic processes? Counting calories and exercising are just two of a myriad of components that affect the way your body decides to burn or store fat.
Let’s start with the basics. After all, your weight woes could be relieved with a simple fix. Many times there is not some mysterious underlying cause to the extra pounds we carry. Our weight gain is a natural result of some basic diet and lifestyle choices.
Ask yourself the following:
- Do I drink enough water each day (half my body weight in ounces)?
- Do I consume 7-10 servings of the rainbow in fresh fruits and veggies each day?
- Am I eating enough good, healthy fats (Omega 3’s from fish, nuts, and seeds)?
- Do I skip meals or go long periods of time without eating or overeat at certain meals?
- How much exercise am I getting each week?
- Am I consuming foods that cause my body to store fat (sugar substitutes found in diet drinks, hydrogenated oils, processed foods)?
Many times, just taking care of the issues listed above can make a world of difference. But when a person is doing all the right things and it’s still not working, then what?
That’s where the bio-individuality comes in.
Here is just a small sampling of other questions you will want to ask yourself in relation to your body’s metabolic health:
- Do I have any parasitical infections (other than those commonly tested)?
- Do I have any bacterial or fungal infections (chronic or acute)?
- What are the levels of my probiotics, growth hormone?
- Is my Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio in balance?
- Have my thyroid hormones (T3, T4, T3 uptake; not just TSH) been measured against functional lab ranges?
- Have my cortisol levels been properly tested through saliva?
- Are my saliva tested sex hormones within functional lab ranges (different from conventional)?
- Do I have intestinal permeability (leaky gut) that is affecting my absorption of nutrients?
- Have I had a blood test to verify multiple food sensitivities causing inflammation?
- Was my hemoglobin A1c measured?
- Do I show signs and symptoms of dysglycemia (swings of low and high blood sugar)?
- Do I have signs and symptoms of neurotransmitter deficiencies (over-thinking, brain fog, depression)?
There can be any combination of the factors above that are affecting your body’s ability to lose weight. Once those factors are discovered, they can be balanced. Once they are balanced, your body will take care of the rest.
If you would like to get answers to some of those metabolic questions, please call our office to arrange a consultation with our experienced functional medicine practitioner. The right person asking the right questions can lead you to the right answer!
Once your individual genetic and biochemical factors have been evaluated, our certified nutritional consultant and personal trainer will help you put the pieces together in a way that works for your life. Because you are the only one who does what you do, in your body, with your mind, and you are the one who will succeed.
We will be here to walk with you on your journey.
Call or text (704) 308-2557 to schedule an appointment