Mold illness occurs after exposure to a building overrun in mold (sick building) or via food sources that contain mold. The mold reproduces by forming spores that can travel through air and replicate once it has landed on a moist wall or structure.
What ultimately triggers health issues for patients is the toxins released by mold called mycotoxins, which are very toxic chemicals. It is estimated that 25% of American’s immune system cannot identify these mycotoxins; as a result, the mycotoxins will stay in the body for many years “invisible” to the immune system.
Research is now finding that mycotoxins can trigger autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma and especially neuro-autoimmunity such as Meniere’s. The most common molds found to trigger health issues are: Aspergillus, Penicillium
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF MOLD/MYCOTOXIN ILLNESS
- Body aches and sharp shooting pains like electrical shocks and or “ice pick” like pain, numbness/tingling and joint pain
- Lack of stamina and fatigue
- Light, noise and sound sensitivity
- Blurry vision
- Muscle cramps
- Sinus issues and coughing
- Static shocks
- Abdominal pain and diarrhea
- Memory changes
- Vertigo and balance issues
- Poor focus and other neurological symptoms
- Depression, anxiety and or mood swings
- Skin reactions
- Nigh sweats and or alternating between feeling hot and cold
AUTOIMMUNE DISORDERS RELATED TO MOLD & MYCOTOXINS
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
- Autoimmune Diabetes
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Sjogren’s syndrome
- Psoriasis and more..
FUNCTIONAL WELLNESS TESTING FOR MOLD OR MYCOTOXINS
At The Holistic Wellness Center of The Carolinas, we use a variety of tests to help determine if a patient potentially has mycotoxins (not all tests are necessary for everyone):
- Mycotoxin urinalysis
- Serum antibody screens for Aspergillus, Penicillium,
- Compliment proteins
- Melanocyte stimulating Hormone (MSH)
- Visual Contrast Sensitivity
- TGF beta-1
WHAT THERAPIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR MOLD ILLNESS?
There are a variety of therapies available for Mold and mycotoxin illness, including herbs, supplements, pharmaceutical drugs, and saunas. At The Holistic Wellness Center of The Carolinas, we often have to use a combined approach of all therapies listed below.
- Full spectrum saunas
- Lymphatic drainage support using homeopathic formulas
- Chlorella, activated charcoal or other natural binders
- Nebulizing therapies
- Baths with epsom and or dead sea salt with essential oils
- Customized dietary protocols
- Binding drugs such as Cholestyramine can be very helpful for some patients with mold illness (using Dr. Shoemacker’s treatment approach).